Saturday, September 10, 2005

<sigh> The things I do for my children...
I've now seen 'Revenge of the Sith' four times - twice was ample. But the cubs had a blast especially as there were fans in costume swanning about the cinema. We had an Imperial Guard, a Death Star Officer, Princess Leia (episode 4) and even - and this had the M cub in transports of delight - a Darth Vader. <g> I recognised a couple of people from my stint in fandom many years ago but I don't think they recognised me.
We saw a preview for Howl's Moving Castle! Eeeee! Bishiebishiebishie! With wings! Might drag the cubs along to see that.

Speaking of movies, the cubs' father is watching 'Chronicles of Riddick' at the moment. What a stupid movie. Necromongers? Is that like fishmongers? Bwahahahahahah!
Though Karl Urban still manages a certain amount of phwoarness in spite of the ugly haircut.

Heh, my favourite gaiboyz brought me back a couple of snowdomes from their trip to Sydney. :) One has an orange and white 3D model of the Opera House inside - it looks like a peeled prawn! So tacky, it's perfect!

I've just finished a mostly excellent book: Minette Walters - 'The Shape of Snakes'. I saw a documentary about its development and thought it sounded interesting so went and hunted it down. I'd not read anything else of Walters, though I've seen most of the programs made from her books, and I was enthralled. The story starts with an unusual death 20 years ago then jumps to the present day and the main character's search for justice. The story builds layer by layer with flashbacks in the form of correspondence, and not in chronological order either, it skips backwards and forwards over the 20 years revealing a snippet here, another puzzle piece there. Wonderfully done.
I wasn't entirely convinced by the perpetrator though and I was reminded of the author saying in the documentary that she was nearing the end of the story and she didn't know whodunnit yet! The lack of solidity showed, I think. I also thought one of the key characters was dismissed from the narrative too abruptly with a very weak explanation but that didn't impact with the story too much so it didn't niggle at me.
And then, at the very end, the reason for the main character's obsession with the case is revealed. Beautifully poignant, it made me sniffle and I immediately forgave all the quibbles. :)
I finished this book the day after I'd borrowed it from the library, I'll probly read it again before I have to give it back.

<snerk> The Prince Charming emoticon: :"D.
Think about it...
(Joules, was that a result of yours or my typo? I can't remember...)

No comments: