Sunday, September 04, 2005

It was Father's Day today. Usually (due to lingering acrimony, admittedly) I'm pretty well organised to remember things like that but this year it snuck up on me. The cub who wasn't sick last week bought a couple of things from the Father's day stall at school but it wasn't until Wednesday that I gave any thought for a gift beyond the traditional Toblerone bar. In a catalogue I spotted a DVD set I thought the cubs' father might like so on Friday the cubs and I went shopping. The set wasn't on the shelves and after a very helpful sales person did some checking we found out it wasn't actually available. <sigh> The woman checked a little further and - hooray - they did have the individual volumes at only a few dollars more in total than the set. But, only volumes 1 & 3 were in store. <SIGH> The sales person suggested we try another store so we did and - hah! - not only did we find all 3 volumes but they were cheaper again.
And the cubs' father was pleased with his swag of gifts so all was well...

I don't often buy tinned soup cos it never tastes quite right but I saw one the other day that looked interesting. Pea soup with Australian Native Mint. Alas it wasn't all that interesting after all. When they said 'pea soup' they actually meant 'split (dried) pea soup' instead of the fresh, pretty green peas pictured on the label which was what I was expecting. Oh well, guess I'll just have to get a packet of frozen peas and blend that up with some stock and herbs instead. And sour cream... mmm...

I solemnly swear that from now on when I'm faced with a section in one of my stories that I'm hazy about I will spend some time plotting the section out rather than just forging ahead and hoping for the best. This will save me looking back at what I've done and thinking 'Well that sucks'. <g>

I was poking about on a MarySue Snark site and I found something that made me snigger. The HP!suethor admitted (in an author's note, in the middle of the text) that she knew the spelling was wrong but she couldn't be bothered looking it up lol <rolls eyes>. She'd used Expellimaris! as the supposed dis-arming hex and the snarking reviewer made the comment that the giant squid was very annoyed to suddenly find all the water removed from her home... <giggling> Ah dear, have to remember that one, it's got the potential to be an extremely annoying hex.

Ahah! I knew I'd seen Moaning Myrtle somewhere before. Heard her, rather, I recognised the voice. Shirley Henderson appeared in 'Topsy Turvy' as one of Doily Carte's soloists. Always pleased to have a mystery solved.

Counting down to the holidays and a fortnight of not getting up at sparrow's fart...

No comments: