Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Parent-teacher interviews this afternoon. Both cubs' teachers said they're happy with their standard of work but they could do more of it. Funny, we've been hearing that since they started school. They're more than capable of the work - the M cub for instance is coping with maths from the next grade level without too much effort - but neither of them like boring things like writing. Eh well, both teachers are working to find ways to motivate them, <g> including bribery. Though even that's not as effective as they'd hope. The S cub got a Storm Trooper stamp on the back of his hand for finishing some work but when his teacher asked him if he'd like another (ie: do some more work) he apparently said 'no, thanks, I've already got one...' <smirk> Not a lot of evidence of ambition in either of them just yet.

After being tantalised by fangirly droolings online I tracked down a copy of Storm Constantine's 'Wraeththu' omnibus. I'm not yet half-way through the first book and my first impressions are... mixed. On one hand the characters and worldframe are sensuously detailed and believable and I'm already forming emotional attachments and breathlessly wanting moremoremore!, but then again there's elements of the plot I'm finding a touch contrived and this tends to push me out of the narrative. This might aggravate me less as I go on with the story - from experience with other SC novels I know it's not going to improve - or else I'll be so enamoured of the characters I just won't care. : ) Either way, on some levels at least I'll enjoy the ride.

The cubs have rediscovered Thomas the Tank Engine, which is fine, but what lessons are they really learning from a series that hasn't essentially changed since the 1940's?
# Teamwork is important in getting the job done.
# Even if someone looks different it doesn't mean they're not useful.
# Females are willful but can be useful once they understand their place.
# Do as you're told or you'll be shut up in a shed.
# Don't complain or you'll be shut up in a shed.
# Expect to be blamed for things that aren't your fault.
# If you prove yourself really useful you'll get a new coat of paint.
Hm, I think there's something in that for all of us...

Chapter 21 is underway and I'm ignoring the fluffy-bunny's - predictable - suggestions about one or two of the characters. <sigh>

No comments: