Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I've had an interesting day. Sort of. I was supposed to meet someone at the cubs' school this morning so I could give them some training in the library software but unfortunately they'd had a bingle last night and couldn't make it. I elected to stay anyway and get some work done instead of having to come back later in the afternoon. Ended up staying for 3 hours but plodded through a fair amount of cataloguing, including some niggly 'kits' bits and pieces. It was lunchtime by then so I ambled off to the nearby shopping centre and got something to eat (a bacon burger from a Golden Arches of Doom competitor. Normally won't touch them but I've been craving one for a couple of weeks so, meh.)
Then I decided to tackle the banks and see about getting a loan. My own bank was the least helpful, where I was told my loan application would 'almost certainly' be rejected. Why? Cos I'm on a government pension (single parent) and that type of income, apparently, isn't guaranteed. Oh yes, because nowadays an actual job is guaranteed stability and security. <sarcasm> So anyway, grumped out of there to try a couple of other banks. The first suggested I apply for a credit card cos they didn't lend as little as I needed, and the second happily let me fill in the forms for a personal loan...
I should hear back from them both in a few days though I'm not going to be holding my breath. Not being a customer of the other two banks won't work in my favour.

But something positive did happen today. My phone is under the cubs' father's name, and both our numbers appear on the same bill. Not a problem when we were a couple but I've been getting leary about dealing with it now we're separated.
I suggested I get my number transferred into my name - this means we'll be billed separately - then he can give me a little less 'housekeeping' each week and be wholly responsible for his own bill. Works for me! Works for him too, so that's what we'll be doing. One small baby-step towards Lutra's emancipation. <g>

I was browsing an insurance broker's site to get an estimate on contents insurance. Got to the end of the form and - for security or something - was asked to type the word I saw in the box. The word was SNAPE.
<rolling around laughing> Joules says it's a sign, but of what neither of us are really sure...

Awww. Discovered the rather endearing cockroaches I occasionally find about the house are actually a native species. (Second image down) I'm in two minds now about putting them in the freezer when I catch them, but then, they're native to Queensland not Victoria. They probly arrived in a bunch of bananas, that's how most Queensland creepy crawlies get down here.
They freak the cubs out, however, so I probly shouldn't let them have the run of the house...

Time for some pink stuff. I deserve it.

No comments: