Monday, October 17, 2005

My hair is fine, thin and weak but I like the colour. It's a genuine tawny, honey-blonde, and it glimmers in the sunlight...

At the cubs' school this afternoon we had the official launch of the 'You Can Do It!' program - a program designed to help motivate/educate children about the benefits of self-confidence and a positive self-image. (Sounds naff but having flicked through some of the literature it's actually a well-structured and useful curriculum.) It took place in the quadrangle between the classrooms, something that bothered me a little as it meant that everyone was going to be outside in the strong sunshine for 2 hours, but more importantly there were no chairs for the visiting parents! Yes, I'm a wuss, anyway...
Parked myself on the steps of the staff room, in the shade, and sat back with some trepidation to watch the events. I say trepidation cos I've learnt to be wary of the words '... and each class will be making a presentation...' Other parents will know exactly what I mean.
It was more entertaining than I could've hoped. <g> Each class did have something to say or show but it was all mercifully short and to the point. I got a little distracted though. There's 5 basic tenets of the 'You Can Do It!' program - Organisation, Confidence, Resilience, persistence and Getting Along - and the phrase 'never give up' kept cropping up. Cos of the way my mind works I immediately followed it, to myself, with 'never surrender' - Never give up, never surrender! being the catch phrase from the sci-fi show in the movie Galaxy Quest. And thinking of that reminded me of the movie's other well-known phrase 'By Granthar's Hammer..., which is of course what Alan Rickman's character is famous for. And thinking about Dr Lazarus led me to thinking about Snape which set me off on a whole new mental tangent... <g> Ah, I can keep myself amused for hours if necessary.
A paraolympian, Don Elgin, gave a talk about his experiences - and showed off his prosthetic leg, much to the morbid interest of some - then the kinder were divided into 4 groups and given a chance to take it in turns learning 'circus' skills, to whit (to whoo!) Devil Sticks, hoola hoops, Poi, and Diablo. It looked like everyone had fun with the activities and tell you what, some of those little preppies could keep a hoop going for ages!
Once that was over with we were given a demonstration of acrobatic/gymnastic skills by a very limber, very strong and beautifully muscled young man called Sergei the Magnificent. That was fun! And amazing - the range of movement he was putting his spine through made me wince! It was an undeniably sensuous performance though: even if the silver trousers and bare chest weren't enough some of Sergei's movements could only be described as caressing. It felt a little odd, having naughty thoughts about the star of the show while surrounded by children going oooh, aaah! : )
The afternoon rounded off with the local Mayor presenting the principal with a cheque for lots of money so we can have a brand-new sports ground made once the new school is finished, and then inside for tea and biscuits to while away the few minutes before the bell went and I could take the cubs home...
I hadn't really wanted to come along to the afternoon but I'm glad I made the effort. Sometimes being a conscientious parent can be fun...

No comments: