Thursday, December 08, 2005

The cubs and I had a great time after school today. First we picked up one of their laybys - always a good thing - then we tried out a new icecream place! Mmmm, lovely stuff, smooth and creamy. We all had a 'big cup' with 3 flavours. Mine were strawberry (not bad), coffee (excellent) and blood orange (YUM). The cubs between them had vanilla, mint, chocolate and licorice. They both declared this the best icecream ever! <g> I had a taste of the licorice and have to admit I was impressed. Usually licorice icecream tastes like licorice flavoured vanilla but this actually tasted like licorice. Nummy! I'll have some of that next time though I'm not in a hurry to go back. Icecream is something I only fancy every now and again - the cubs will eat it anytime, thanks, Mum! - but it's good to know there's some good quality stuff handy when I do.
Anyway, continuing the gastronomic tour of the shopping centre we tasted some wonderful ham from one of the delis. Really, really nice - really, really expensive - but so much better than the plastic crap the supermarkets sell. Getting the ham for xmas is usually my job but I don't think I'd want to share this! : )
After we'd all rhapsodised about the pickled pig for a bit we tripped off to a lolly shop to get a present for someone. Naturally, being surrounded by all the sweet stuff the cubs started making noises about getting something else. Fortunately they were able to understood the concept that it's a waste of excellent food to follow it with stuff that's not quite so good. And they were still so full of icecream they weren't actually that hungry anymore. <g>

Hm. I was going to snicker about the use of a particular spell in a couple of HP fanfics but after checking the Lexicon I find it isn't a bit of mangled fanon, as I thought. The spell is Ennervate which is 'used to revive a person hit by a Stunner'. There's a note in the entry which says: "Some versions list this spell as "Enervate," which changes the etymology quite a bit. In fact, if the word was really Enervate, the Latin origins would have exactly the opposite meaning from what it means as Ennervate." Indeed. Guess which spelling I found in the fanfics? Either way it's a silly word to use for a reviving spell.
However, here's something else I found. ''saline stained eyes...'. Guess what that was describing? : )

(It's interesting what Blogger's spell-check sometimes throws up...
icecream - isochronal.
xmas - smash.
stunner - stoner.
fanon - famine.
fanfics - benefice.
Isochronal apparently means 'happening or appearing at regular intervals'. An interesting word in relation to icecream, yes? And fanon-famine? I think there's something in that for all of us... <eg> )

No comments: