Monday, December 05, 2005

I finally got 'round to reading The Davinci Code...
I've read worse.
But honestly, I got so impatient with it. What? Another bloody twist? Gods above this thing could've finished 100 pages ago!
I don't have much patience with puzzles, ciphers and anagrams, they make my brain hurt but the ones peppering this - <wrinkles nose> - blockbuster were hardly challenging. I got the clues so often the whole thing became a series of anti-climaxes. And all I can say is that my general knowledge must be pretty damn good if so many people were astonished and amazed by the story. <sigh> I'm glad I read it though, it helped make Da Kath & Kim Code that much funnier...

One of my cubs has been talking about getting a watch for a while now. He's decided he wants a pocket-watch cos 'they're more elegant'. <g> He's got a little bit of money left, we'll see what we can find.

I had a couple of hours to myself so I sat down and watched Boogie Nights again. It's not a comfortable movie, rather sad actually, but damn I'm impressed with the way the contemporary pop/disco tracks were used. One word, in one line of lyric, perfectly synchronised with a moment in the movie to add a layer of depth and meaning. Fantastic.

I picked up the first volume of Gungrave cos it looked interesting in the previews.
Let's see:
Enigmatic bishie with angsty back-story? Check.
Shadowy corporation protagonist? Check.
Wide-eyed bishojou with some sort of connection to the bishie? Check.
Not the most original story admittedly but the animation's quite good, with the occasional moment of brilliance. It's a series I wouldn't mind following but there's no urgency, it's not one of those 'Gnnnh! I have to see the rest of it now!' things. : )

Tee hee hee. More fanfic nonsense...
First of all - songfic is generally a bad idea. I have absolutely no problem with an author being inspired by a piece of music - happens to me a lot - but it irks me when the lyrics are inserted into the text. Really annoying, it breaks the flow of the narrative. One person's 'highly significant' addition is another's (mine) teeth-grinding aggravation. Put the entire thing at the end of the piece, properly credited of course, but not in dribs and drabs throughout, please. (Okay, and now I'm wracking my brain, trying to remember if anyone I know writes/had written songfic. Heh.)

And I've come across a thread in the Snupins that made me blink. It's the premise that Lupin's wolf form is female. <rolls eyes> It's not widely used, from what I can see, and the explanation is... well... hm... Apparently, if you're born to lycans (don't ask me, I'm just quoting!) your wolf form will have the same gender as you. (And I don't know why but the idea that it's a wolf form, distinct from the human, irritates me. There's a flaw in the reasoning somewhere, I'm sure, I just can't pinpoint it.) But if you're male and bitten by a female lycan, you'll be female at that time of the month. <snigger>
I give up, I just don't get it. It's not the silliest bit of fanon I've read but it's up there in the top ten.

<grumble> I want to go and see Goblet of Fire on my own again while I still can - ie: before the school holidays - but with the cubs coughing and snargling enough to stay home I keep having to put it off. Oh well, the film'll probly be on for a few weeks yet.

No comments: