Friday, January 06, 2006

It's blissfully quiet. Cubs are in bed (asleep); housemates are noticeable by their absence; telly's off... Niiiice
Under normal circumstances the lack of noise at night would make me twitchy but this is the holidays and I haven't had any time alone for sodding days. So right now... this is nice.

And pink stuff! <bounce> Got a parcel from Joules this morning; it had 2 packets of pink stuff (piiiink stuuuuf) and a CD of some music. I believe I have Adrian to thank for that? : ) Thanks, Adrian!

Chapter 33 is finished. One more chapter, then the epilogue and I'm done! Definitely going to have alcohol on hand for that.

The lounge room looks a bit tidier, but only because the xmas decorations came down today. I'll make an effort to remember to put them back up for MidWinter this year. I'm sure the cubs won't object; that coincides with their birthday.
Speaking of (the Southern Hemisphere) Yule, I've got all the ingredients I need to make the Yule cake. Probly do that in the next couple of days then it can sit quietly in the dark somewhere and mature for the next few months.
And dammit, I'm going to have marzipan and fondant icing when I decorate. Don't care if I'm the only one who eats the stuff - that only means I can scoff all the unwanted bits. See? <taps temple> Method in my madness...
(I'm not going to froth at the mouth, either, about the hot cross buns already appearing in the shops. <grump> It's only bloody January...)

I can't say I truly have many weaknesses, things that I simply cannot resist, but one of them is smallgoods - preserved meat products. There's a European delicatessen opened up in my local shops. I went in there today and was treated to tastes of half a dozen different types of hams. So yummy! Freshly made, no preservatives - so much nicer than the plastic crap the supermarkets sell. Worth the expense, definitely. And then there's the range of bizarre East European lollies that I have to try sometime.
I picked up a small slab of smoked and cooked bacon, and a jar of pickled mushrooms. Haven't tried the mushrooms yet but admittedly I mainly bought them cos the jar is really pretty. If the contents are nice, too, then it's a bonus.

Cubs and I managed to spend 6 hours at the shopping centre yesterday. It wasn't that hard to do, actually, not when we took the time to leisurely browse the toy shops, and have lunch, and go see a movie.
Valiant opened yesterday. The cubs wanted to see it cos there was a steam train in the preview. (They're not thorough, they're just obsessed. <g>) I liked this CGI animation for a lot of reasons. True, it wasn't as cutting edge as something like The Incredibles but it had a very British sort of charm. It was chock full of WWII movie stereotypes, including the comic evil Germans (falcons); the plucky little hero; the good-natured roughnuts; the fussy 'University' chap, and the dodgy character who joins up to avoid trouble elsewhere but turns out to be as noble and good-hearted as any of 'em. Not highly original - not after the amount of WWII movies I've seen - but it was clever. The parody of recruitment propaganda movies was particularly funny. And interestingly, there were no American characters.
I was very pleased with myself, though, I managed to pick most of the voice cast without too much effort. Very nice to hear Tim Curry working again - he makes such a wonderful villain - and cos this was British, Eyecandy McDrooley was allowed to speak in his normal accent. So cute!
I'll say one thing about the movie though; the pigeons' movements were played for laughs but whoever animated the falcons had obviously spent a lot of time watching real birds. They were convincing; I loved watching them.

Nicked this quiz from Rakina:

INTP - "Architect". Greatest precision in thought and language. Can readily discern contradictions and inconsistencies. The world exists primarily to be understood. 3.3% of total population.
Free Jung Word Choice Test (similar to MBTI)
personality tests by similarminds.com


Well, my worlds exist primarily to be understood, and what better way to gain understanding than to build them yourself? Tra la la...

Ah yes, one last thing. Odd dream the other night. Don't remember much of it except the ending in which there was a lot of running around and chasing throughout someone's home. I think someone was trying to stop someone else getting married (or equivalent) but I took matters into my own hands by plunging a spear into a bowl. Not that anyone noticed the highly symbolic action straight away, but I woke up as I was planning to explain to them the significance, and point out that the deed was now done and they had to live with it. : )
Oddly enough, I'm not sure that remembering the rest of the dream would have that bit making sense within context. Eh. It's my subconscious and it'll confuse me if it wants to.

No comments: