Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Dammit...
I've been making forays into the garage, sorting stuff into plastic boxes and I've discovered the hard way the garage floor is not waterproof. All of the cardboard boxes in direct contact with the concrete are damp and mouldy, and there's a lot of stuff that's now damaged beyond repair. Mea culpa, I knew I should've put pallets down before I started stacking boxes in there but there was so much to bring over from the old house before we had to hand in the keys I just didn't have time.
Of all the bits in the four boxes I went through today there was only a couple of precious books that had to be thrown out – the rest I can live without – but there's at least another dozen boxes at the bottom of a pile that's taller than me. It's fortunate, I spose that those bottom boxes are buffering the material stored above them but I've got a nasty, nasty feeling a lot of my precious books are in that bottom layer. Ah, well, it's going to take some time but I can gradually work my way through, remove the damaged boxes and shift over some of the umpteen dozen plastic storage boxes to pile the undamaged cardboard boxes back on. <sigh>
I'm happy so say, though, one of the items I was able to salvage is a booklet I bought from the nuns when I was in primary school, titled 'Be a Real Girl.' (printed 1965). <shakes head> It's... appalling; full of advice to young girls about how they should behave with boys and their special place in god's plan. (This little tome of patriachal wisdom has almost been burnt a dozen times, by outraged feminist friends who've glanced at it. :)
Here's an example, from the chapter headed 'Playing with Fire':
"... a wise girl will avoid going with companions or to places where she knows there is danger. You can't play with fire. When a girl is responsible for a boy's sin by allowing her body to be passionately petted, kissed and touched, she is throwing away, for a moment's pleasure, the real loveliness of her youthful body..."
Thought-provoking stuff, eh?
<shudder> If you'll excuse me I have to go wash now...

No comments: