Tuesday, February 15, 2005

I'm as twitchy as a cat... there's a ginormous huntsman lurking in the kitchen. It keeps disappearing...

Oh good, it looks like my puir wee injured cub will keep his cute profile. Save for a tiny bump his nose is almost back to what it was. How do I know this? By comparing him with his brother - they had the same profile. : )

There was an article in this weeks Time magazine about children's imaginary friends and how research is showing they're probly not a sign of a deranged psyche.
This bit made me laugh:
"The interplay of real and imaginary doesn't have to stop at the end of childhood. ... interviewing fiction writers and finding that they interact with their characters in some ways that parallel children's make-believe play. Authors often report that their characters seem to have autonomous lives, dictating their own dialogue, controlling the plot of stories and sometimes refusing to do what the authors ask of them..."
Well, goodness, who'd have thought...? <smirk>

I'm noticing similarities between Tolkien's writing and some of the ancient Greek plays. The major characters in both, the heroes and nobles, are treated with dignity and gravity, their speech tends to be formal if not downright grand. The lesser characters, the support cast, however are freer in what they can say - lighter, more human if you like. If anybody's going to laugh out loud it's more likely to be at something a secondary character says or does.
I vaguely remember something from High School about the 'chorus' being there in 'Antigone' as a connecting bridge between the plebs in the audience and the lofty characters portrayed on stage. Or I could be mis-remembering. Eh.

I heard this (inaccurately quoted - I didn't catch all of it) on an episode of Jimmy Neutron the other day:
"I am at the pointy end of the food-chain. Gaze upon my opposable thumbs and tremble!"
<g>

No comments: