Sunday, August 28, 2005

We've had a couple of days of warmish weather which while it's been great for getting through the backlog of washing has also reminded me I really should get some new t-shirts. They're all tatty and stained to some extent and most of them should've been replaced last Summer but I never quite got round to it. Besides, they've been fine for wearing under other things over Winter and no one sees them anyway.
I'm very fussy about my t-shirts. First, they have to be big enough to drape loosely - can't stand tight clothes - which means plus sizes for me. Second they mustmustmust be pure cotton cos that's the only thing that feels comfortable in the heat and third, they must be plain colours. There's some awfully cute printed t's out there but as they're designed to emphasis 12 year old busts the only way they'd look good in my company is for them to hang on my wall.
I've always hated the safely twee designs you find on chain-store women's t's. Hate them. The sheer simpering bourgeois nastiness at best makes my lips curl in disgust. At worst, well, I'm rarely coherent when I'm ranting.
So, plain t-shirts, please, ideally in something other than sodding pastels, and if I want them decorated I'll do it myself.

(I'm watching a documentary on vipers. Very pretty creatures, really, and there's some fantastic close-ups of their scales. Wonderful textures...)

Finally finished Kim Stanley Robinson's 'Years of Rice and Salt.' There I was, ploughing through the last little bit cos I was determined to finish the thing before it had to be renewed at the library again, when the narrative suddenly stopped. No resolution, no summation, it just... stopped. Fair enough, given the nature of the story it can't lend itself to a neat 'and they all lived happily ever after' ending but still...
However, after I'd had a nap the ending - such as it was - made some kind of sense that while not satisfying was thought-provoking.
This was a well-written book even though the academic tone occasionally made my eyes glaze over! I'll almost certainly read it again sometime in the future, if only to see if I can wring some more sense out of it on a second reading. But not yet, I need to give myself a rest from 'thought-provoking' and wallow in 'brain-candy' for a bit. (Oh look, 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'! Perfect! <pounce>)

No comments: