Monday, December 12, 2011

Forecast: 12-20
Attained: 13-20


I hadn't planned on going in to an op shop today but I'm glad I did.
I found a copy of the Illustrated Family Doctor, 1935! (Site is a blog that has pics from the book.) I used to have my Mum's copy of this book but it got badly damaged in the last house. Very happy to have another copy.

I also picked up a Modern Illustrated Home Dictionary, which Amazon tells me is also 1935. There's no publishing date inside - not uncommon with old dictionaries.

Two other smaller treasures found as well. Saffron & Currants: a Cornish heritage cookbook, Susan Pellowe, rev. ed. 1998 - I don't have any Cornish cookbooks! - and A dictionary of Cut Flowers, Mary Bailey, 1969, cos I sort of collect old dictionaries as well, and you never know when you'll need to look up a cut flower related term. :)

All of this goodness for just $11.

~=o>


Ran in to Bart, our next door neighbour from the old place today. He told me that the house has finally been demolished and there's plans for 2 units to go up on the site. Wow, that took a year to do. The owner would've been losing money on the property all this time.

I'm trying hard not to think of the things we left behind. Not that there was anything we really wanted or needed. They were left because we ran out of time - and paid for the cost of clearing it all - but it's all gone now and I'm feeling a little melancholy.
I'm taking comfort in my sparkly tree and the new additions to my library... :)



No comments: