Monday, July 30, 2012

Forecast: 8-13
Attained: 7-16


Following this story today about someone losing the keys to Wembley Stadium, my favourite radio station was calling for other 'lost keys' stories.
I didn't call in but here's mine:
Way back when, in the times Before, when I was living on my own in a shitty, but charming, one bedroom flat I woke up one morning and couldn't find my keys. This wouldn't have been a problem except there was only one way out of the flat: through a door that had an old-fashioned deadlock that couldn't be opened without a key.
Yerrs.
Tore the place apart looking for the bloody things, getting crosser and crosser, and panickier. Time was ticking away and I had to go to work. Note, this was in the days before mobile phones, plus I didn't have a landline 'phone cos the place was slated for demolition and the telco wouldn't install one.
The situation was hopeless, but did I despair?
Well, yes, a bit - I had visions of calling out pathetically to passing strangers and asking them to contact a locksmith, and I was calculating how long my food was going to last - and then it dawned on me that perhaps, possibly... did I leave the keys in the lock last night when I came home?
Managed to open the kitchen window enough to crane my head around to view the front door... Yup, there they were. I swore, vociferously, cos now I had to climb out of a window - the loungeroom window, as that one actually opened wide enough for me to squeeze through. (I did hang about for a few minutes on the offchance a neighbour would pass by and I could ask them to fetch my keys, but no, the indignity of climbing out of the window was mine to be suffered.) [sigh]

It was fortunate that no one had let themselves in to my flat overnight, I suppose, and I did have an amusing story to explain why I was late for work...
And now I always check what sort of door lock a place has before I rent.

~=o>

Mwhahahaha! I now have all my Beatles albums on my new shiny!
Only a little bit less that 500mgbs - still have 10+gbs of space. Niace



No comments: