Saturday, June 12, 2004

Hm, the cubs are running out of socks - time to clean under the couch...

Well that was amusing. Just watched 'Gen X Cops' (1999), the Nic Tse, Stephen Fung movie I got cos I couldn't find a copy of '2002'.
Not a shockingly original story, 3 maverick rookie cops recruited for a nigh-impossible mission deep undercover in the treacherous Hong Kong underworld... Yeah, yeah but 2 of them at least were so pretty! Nickypoohs being all brooding and angular; and cute, round little Stephen with longish, blonde-tipped hair. <silly grin> The Yakuza villain was very charismatic as well, I liked him. There were a lot of familiar faces in this including Sam Lee, the ghost-partner in 2002, as the third rookie and again he's playing 'the comic one'. He does it well, though, and the three of them played off each other nicely.
Watched it with English subtitles (hardly suprising, I don't speak cantonese) and the coy difference between the fruity parts of bits of the English soundtrack and how they were translated made me giggle. And let's not go into the typos in the subtitles!
"He was a well-known Yakuza box!" <smirk> Riiiight...
Was interested to hear an Aussie accent on one of the female leads and the executive producer - Jackie Chan - makes an amusing cameo appearance.
Gen X Cops is ultimately a teen-cop flick but engaging nonetheless and the double-double crosses kept me on my toes.(Honestly, sometimes it was like a pea and cup game - who's/where's the villain again? :)
Apparently there's a sequel, Gen Y Cops, I think, and I glimpsed something about a prequel in one of the few bits of the special features I could access. Might be something I'll hunt up at a later date, we'll see how far I'm willing to let this interest in the Hong Kong movie industry go...

No comments: