Wednesday, June 23, 2004

On Saturday night we finally saw the episode of The Bill that was aired live in the UK months ago.
... Bit over the top, wasn't it? By the end of the episode we had 2 confirmed deaths, (and has anyone else noticed that every gay character has been victimised in some way?) 2 potential deaths, a glimpse of someone thought to be dead... Was there anything else? Oh yes, angst and drama aplenty, and Cathy Bradford digging herself deeper in.
Have to admit the acting in this one was better than the previous 2 eps – gods, those actors playing the lawyers in Polly's murder case were making a meal of it! I just wanted to slap them, tell them to get proper jobs. :)
Last night's – Tuesday's – ep was ok, though I don't trust Gabriel at all, never have, and Yay! Go Inspector Okaro! Put that Bradford woman in her place! (No I don't get too involved with my programs, why do you ask? <g>)

The cub's father gave me some earplugs the other day, they're marvellous. I only need one, in my good ear, and that cuts down the general level of noise and dampens the awful, high-pitched overtone that the telly, CD player, and the cubs generate. This is great for my concentration, it means even with the lounge-room full of people and the telly blaring I can still hear enough to know what's going on around me but not have it shatter my ability to focus on what I'm writing.

Cos the cubs did a good job at clearing their crap out of the lounge-room on the weekend, their dad gave them some spending money. They'd originally planned to get a Lego surprise thing (chupa chup lolly pop and lego figurine) but then they saw some little remote-controlled robots that were about the same price. They're very simple toys, only go backwards and forwards but the cubs are having great fun with them. You should hear the shrieks of laughter when they get their robots to 'wrestle'. :)

Ok, someone gives you something valuable, no strings attached apparently, but you know they've been wanting you to do something for them for ages. Does this sound like a bribe?
Yes, I thought so to.
We've got an election coming up and our government, as part of it's 'help for families' strategy, has given single parents, and carers of disabled people, a substantial one-off payment. Thank you very much but is it going to influence me to change my vote? Nup.
What I'm wondering though is just where this money's coming from. The government's been crying poor for the whole of it's time in office, saying they need to make cuts to health, education, infrastructure etc. This families payment must run into millions, so where is this money coming from? I don't doubt it'll be taken out of our hides at some point but in the meantime I can catch up on some bills, buy the cubs clothes, shoes and uniforms, you know, the sorts of things I can't usually manage to do on what I normally receive...

My latest Dystopia chapter, 'Hunted' is now posted in Darkside - thanks, Joules!
I was planning on having Cathouse Ellis (remember that?) finally finished before the holidays start but I've gotten distracted by something on Val's new Cyber City lj community. <bg>
Be good if I can get 'Ellis' done and out of the way though, it's been hanging around for a year. Eh, I'll see how I go and heh, at the rate Joules is writing the latest (nail-biting!) AC's it won't be long before I'll need to contribute a chapter there as well. Novel? What novel...? :)

No comments: