Saturday, November 30, 2002

I'm sitting here, filling in time online while I wait for the cubs to fall asleep cos only then can I sneak around and make up their advent calenders. *sigh* It would be so much easier for myself if I simply bought them one of those ready-made ones with the chocolates inside, but I don't, I make them from scratch. Little numbered bags of goodies and lollies - this will be the fourth (?) year I've done it, I think. Should have made them up last night, thus cleverly avoiding the rush tonight, but I was too tired. Eh.

Election day today in Victoria and the smell of barbecued sausages and onions hangs over the state...
Election days must be a boon for schools and churches cos they inevitabley have a sausage sizzle or a cake stall going at the same time the polling booths are open. Great time for raising money, few people can resist a sausage sizzle after doing their democratic duty. I spent a couple of hours this morning on the cake stall at the cubs stall, slowly being driven crazy by the smell of the sausages : ) which I couldn't really afford.
Yes, I voted. After 15 years of being a conscientious objector (voting is compulsory in Aus) by deliberately letting myself drop off the register - not hard to do, I moved house 8 times in 10 years - last year I re-registered in time for the federal election. I think it's important to have a say about how things are run. Sure, my single vote doesn't count for a whole lot, especially as the party I vote for is fairly minor, but when this minor party gets a reasonable number of votes, it can shake up the complacent, major parties, make them realise that they don't have things all their own way.
I have no idea if that made any sense, sorry *grin*, political theory is not my forte.

Ahah.. sounds like the cubs are asleep... time to make the calenders. Just hope I get them finished at a reasonable time, we're sposed to be going to the museum tomorrow (finally got our 'Friends of the Museum' card!) and I need to get at least some sleep. Doesn't matter, I can always go to bed early tomorrow. : )

No comments: