Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Forecast: 5-16
Attained: 5-15


Lungs have gone from gloopy to burbly. A definite improvement.

~=o>


Don't know if last night's dream was fever-based or just one of my regular, hi-def ones.
I'd bought a raffle ticket, the first prize being a nursing home of predominantly chinese clients. Yeah... Naturally I won, cos you always win the prizes you don't actually want.
So, there I was, in charge of a nursing home, supervising the refurbishment. The cupboards had been cleaned out and I was sorting through all the mounds of old biscuit tins and glassware. I suggested keeping several of the big tins but the rest could go. There was a young guy helping out: I'd sent him off to the kitchen to do some washing up. A bit later he sidled up a little sheepishly and told me he 'didn't know how to use the dishwasher'. Expecting the worst, I went to have a look, and sure enough, it was disconnected and the kitchen and dining room had flooded. The guy and I set to, using brooms and mops to clean up while I wondered where I could get hold of a wet/dry vac...

Perhaps it was a fever dream: I've noticed they tend to be less 'fantastic', in the original sense of the word, than my regular dreams. :)

~=o>


Subject Selection Information Night at the school tonight. Basically, a run-down for year 10-12 students on what subjects are available and how to apply. Akshully informative. Our school offers 3 different subject streams: the one that leads to university, the one that leads to tech college, and the one that can go either way. Now the cubs need to decide exactly what it is they want to do, check out the course requisites and choose appropriate subjects. They have a week.
We had a big problem with subject choice last year, cos the IT subject both cubs really really wanted to do was cancelled cos there wasn't enough interest. I've told them that if the same thing happens this year, they'll still have to take what they can get but we (plural) will actively pursue appropriate extra-curricular courses. But, they have to be organised about it and get the info to their dad and I in plenty of time so we can follow through. Unfortunately, with the state of finances we have to plan ahead. Leaving applications and things 'til the last minute will likely mean they won't happen.

Interestingly, we were informed that from next year all yr 11 & 12 students will get gov-funded laptops (notebooks)! Fabulous news. We'll need to pay a deposit and a small yearly insurance fee - and the machines have to go back to the school at the end of the time - but it also means we don't have to worry about software compatibility with our home systems. Much less hassle.

~=o>


Hard rubbish drive in our area. I've been very good about not stopping and rummaging, except for one thing:


A somewhat intact cat tree! That's KittenKong come to investigate 30 seconds after I got it out of the car.

And for once we had nothing to contribute cos we got rid of all the crap when we moved house. :)



No comments: