Thursday, March 24, 2005

The cubs have been looking forward to seeing the film 'Robots' ever since we saw a preview of it months ago. It opened in Australia today, so this afternoon after school the cubs and I went to see it. I was more impressed than I thought I would be. Sure the plot's a little sparse but the worldframe has been realised brilliantly. There's obviously been a lot of thought put into the translation of our world to a mechanical one. It's all a bit wacky but it makes sense within itself and the themes of greed and idealism weren't hard to transfer.
I have to say that this is one of the rare movies where the special effects actually enhance a weak plot rather than simply try to make up for it. There are a couple of fabulous action sequences where it really felt like I was in the thick of it all. Lots of fun!
'Robots' is full of pop-culture references, ie: it nicks things from all over the place. Some of the bits are cleverly used - the 'Two Towers' reference made me giggle - and were picked to appeal to a wide demographic. For instance, I almost didn't catch the Brittney reference but the 'Singing in the Rain' one was easy-peasy. : )
The voice talent was well-chosen, I think. I recognised Robin Williams (of course, his role has been heavily promoted) and picked out Mel Brooks easily enough. I couldn't work out who the male lead was, though his voice seemed familiar. It was Eye-candy McDrooly with a US accent. <g> End credits are useful things. RW might be slowing down as he ages, his characterisation lacked a little of that manic, slightly irritating patter, but even so I laughed out loud at some of it.
I think the cubs would've loved this movie even without the ample amount of fart jokes and toilet humour. I wouldn't mind seeing it at the cinema again - it'll be one of those films that will lose a lot of impact and detail on the small screen.

Watching the previews before the feature can be fun - it's nice to know what's coming up. There's another 'Ice Age' on the way, apparently, and the more snippets I see of the third Star Wars movie the more I think I might find something in it to appeal to me. But I really am getting tired of the remakes.
Someone has ritually slaughtered a goat in the Holy Rodent Empire's movie graveyard and resurrected the rotting corpse of Herbie, the love bug. <head in hands> Oh for gods' sake - what next? 'Pete's Dragon'? 'The computer wore tennis shoes'? And surely by now the software has advanced enough for someone to attempt to rethink 'Tron'. <sarcastic grump> It doesn't help that I saw in a magazine today that Gerry Anderson's 'Captain Scarlet' is being remade with CGI. (I'll reserve judgement, but I'm not sure I wholly approve. In the tradition of 'updating' an old idea they've fiddled with some of the characters. Lt. Green is now female - though an interestingly curvy one...)
Tch, this isn't progress, it's using the excuse of 'better nostalgia through technology' to avoid having to expend the effort to think up anything new. But then, isn't it easier to sell old stuff prettied up to the complacent lowest common denominator than something that might just possibly give them a new outlook?
Okay... </cynical rant> : )

Food:
Morning: Even with being left a couple of days to ripen the bananas were still uninspiring.
Later: Organic porridge.
Afternoon tea with Penny: Fresh coffee, Southcape Camembert with organic crispbreads, not particularly interesting 'sweet dip' made from dates, cream cheese and vanilla, and a couple of slices of Penny's yummy chocolate cake.
Dinner: Good few handfuls of potato chips at the cinema; chicken thigh fillets marinated in a basil/sun-dried tomatoe mix (on special at the supermarket - nice but I won't be rushing to eat the other pack in the freezer) with fresh cucumber; cup of tea and the rest of the grapes.
Hee, I got my copy of the Hello, Tarot in the mail today. It was an eBay thing - a colour-in tarot based on Hello Kitty. So cute! I don't think it's close to official Sanrio merchandise, though, there's no trademarks to be seen, anywhere, but kudos to the artist who had the idea in the first place.
And speaking of knock-offs, I found some 'DBZ' stickers today. Why do I think they're not official? In one of them Vegeta was wearing a fuschia-coloured body-suit, and in another, purple. <smirk> Going to have to get a set, just for the snigger value...

I've been giving (probably too much) thought to the phenomenon of stupid grrrl/boi-blog talk and reached the conclusion that perhaps these people are writing like they speak - which is scary enough - but then, I write as I speak. Or rather, as I speak in my head: what comes out of my mouth is generally gibberish but in my head I'm very eloquent.
...
Tch, that thought had been going somewhere when I started but buggered if I can remember now. Meh, it feels like it's been a long week.
Heh, I think I'll give up trying to make sense and just leave this post with an enigmatic ending...

No comments: