Thursday, June 09, 2005

I went to see KoH again today. <happy sigh> Was going to leave it for a couple of weeks but from tomorrow it's only showing once a day, in the evenings, which makes it awkward for me. Dang I love this movie... can you tell?

The cubs' father grinned when I told him how I'd spent my morning.
"What new details did you pick up this time?" he asked.
"Balian's red and white gambeson is spot (ie: tie) quilted, unlike the ones the men-at-arms wear, which are quilted in straight rows."
"Yes. Makes him look like a sofa."
<smirk> "There's worse things to sit on..."

This isn't the first movie I've obsessively seen more than once during its first cinema release. : ) The trend started with the original Star Wars trilogy, not surprisingly, but then it's not hard to see a movie a dozen times when it's in the cinemas for over a year. Then what was there? Let's see...
The cubs' father and I saw Branagh's Henry the fifth several times. That was fun actually, after the second viewing we realised we were seeing the same people again and again in the audience. We saw the first The Crow movie about 4 times, Jurassic Park and Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet at least three. I've seen The Incredibles 3 times, and Robots and Finding Nemo the same, though The Incredibles was the only one of these that I wanted to watch over and over - the others we saw more than once cos the cubs wanted to see them again.
It's hard to explain why but all of these multi-watch movies have an emotional pull for me. There's been something about them that makes me itch to see them again. I've loved the worldframes and happily immersed myself in the lives of the characters and - I've just realised - it's these movies I continue to think about once they're over. The majority of the other films I've seen I don't think about again - kleenex movies, use once and discard - there's nothing more in them for me than a momentary diversion. But these others... I suspect they strike a chord with the romantic in me, not the fluffy-bunny romantic but the lover of epic tales who identifies and empathises with the characters.

But anyway, I probly will have to leave it for a couple of weeks before I see KoH again (and I will), because now I have to organise babysitters.

Still on the subject of movies...
I usually sit all the way through the closing credits of every movie I see in the cinema. There's a few reasons for this. First, there's an awful lot of people involved in making a film and I think it's an acknowledgement of their work to watch their names scroll past. Second, sometimes there's fun stuff or extra bits included in the credits or at the very end - all of Pixar's features are worth sitting right the way through. And third, especially with emotionally involving movies, I need the time to pull myself out of it and readjust to reality.
I don't need to do this with movies on DVD cos reality is right there in the room with me, usually saying "Mum, can I have...?". : )

No comments: