Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Awww... : ) [egg moved up to wed 26th april]

I'm glad I did that little bit of review for the test last night. Didn't know a lot of the answers off the top of my head but I had a clue where to look for them in the module notes. I know I answered one question incorrectly but if that's all I've got wrong I'll be happy.
<deep breath> ... and that's the last of my wednesday afternoon classes.

I may not like Alan Garner's work all that much but I can't say the same for Sherri S. Tepper. I've read a lot of her novels over the years and I still find myself thinking about them. She writes sci-fi, kinda; they're uncomfortable stories about ugly times and places. Everything is 'put right' by the end of the story but there's rarely a happy ending for the main characters. Sacrifice and loss are common themes but the endings can still be hopeful, uplifting. There's nearly always a strong feminsit undertone in the stories, one of the reasons I'll happily pick up a Tepper book when I see them. My favourite is 'The Gate to Women's Country' - not because it's probably the closest thing to a fluffy bunny story she's written, but because she's exploring socio-political themes that are close to my heart. : )

Started the next AC (while I'm on a roll) but Joules and I have made a pact to nag each other about our novels again... starting friday... <g>

No comments: