Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Good weekend up at mum's, but I'm glad to be home. So are the cubs, they were making 'homesick' noises last night.
Soulsis and her cubs came up to Mum's on Easter Sunday then we all trooped off to the Alexandra timber train Museum thing. Hot, way more people than last time, but the kids all enjoyed themselves. The cubs and I popped down to the town's Easter Show for a short time as well. Nothing terribly interesting for me (ie: the stallholders were nearly all local businesses, wineries, alpaca studs, etc, no second-hand/antique sellers) but I did pick up a kilo of gourmet potatoes to try ('pink eye' [don't laugh!] pale, waxy flesh, ideal for boiling. Mmmmm...) The cubs got a go on a huge bouncy-castle/giant slide, so they were happy.

Heh, after 5 years of mutual antipathy my Mum's siamese cat and I have reached an understanding. He no longer takes a swipe at me as I go past and even went so far this weekend as to walk across me to get to Mum's lap. He still bullies the cubs, though, and they're still scared of him. Eh, we'll work on that.

<sigh> Probly spent too much on the cubs this weekend what with toy swords, and beanie kids (bears dressed up as a meerkat and a policeman) and milkshakes and shark-shaped face washers. : ) I haven't overspent my budget though so it's not really that much of a problem. My special treat was some lovely, bright-orange material from my favourite patchwork shop. I'm going to make up some stars from it and replace some of the less-liked colours in my quilt. <bg>

... it is possible to have too many easter eggs...

For years I'd thought that my primary school in England had let us go home early so we could watch Neil Armstrong's first moon-walk live. I checked with Mum and she only remembers us watching it on the news that night. Hm. That sort of makes sense, I guess, after all, we didn't get to go home early to watch Charlie being invested as Prince of Wales. Heh, not sure how accurate this memory is but I remember sitting with the rest of my (smallish) school in the darkened hall watching the event on a television. <g>
Also, prompted by a program Mum and I watched, I asked her if she'd been one of the children evacuated during the second-world war. She was, sent away from Portsmouth to Leicster for a year. Fascinating - I should ask my Mum questions like that more often.

[<grumblepout> ... I get back and now you're gone... wish the ningens would organise themselves better... ]

No comments: