Wednesday, April 28, 2004

It's Mother's Day here soon.
The cubs' father asked me if there was anything I wanted...
<smirk> I gave him a list.

... and it warms my heart (yes, that's sarcasm) to see the shops have prominently displayed slippers, nighties and dressing gowns, vacuum cleaners and irons, cos that's what mums really want for all their hard work, isn't it?
Hmph.

Thanks, Andi, for recommending Essex Boys; having a morbid fascination with the Brit underworld I really enjoyed it. : )
Sean Bean was great, as always, thoroughly unlikeable but still compelling. There was one plot loop I thought they could've done without, though. It just didn't hang together with the rest of the story, in my opinion, and it felt too... pat. Removing or altering that arc wouldn't have changed the ending and could've made the movie stronger over all.
But that's just my opinion. : )

I stand corrected on the matter of Alan Garner. I've just finished a book of his that I actually enjoyed. 'Elidor'.
It's odd but his language in this one doesn't seem to be quite so stylised, and it was much easier to read and generally more interesting. I wasn't thinking 'come on, get on with it...' while I was reading.
I could see why Joules was affected by it, though for me the ending was far too abrupt to make an emotional connection. This feels like another book he concluded before the story was finished.
Anyway, this one I could recommend. : )

Soulsis' birthday tomorrow!

No comments: