Friday, April 09, 2004

Oh dear, to do justice to this little AC sidestory I have planned I'll have to go back and reread the first (and probably the second) chronicle. <hand to forehead> Such a chore... Hee.

Finished reading Alan Garner's 'The Moon of Gomrath, his sequel to 'The Weirdstone of Brisingamen'.
... and? Where's the third book?
I don't mean that to sound like I was so enthralled that I must have more, dammit! I mean I was left with the overwhelming impression he hadn't finished the story. (And this was written in 1967 – I don't think there is any more of it.) I'm not a great a fan of Garner anyway but leaving the narrative hanging this way is just annoying. True, the (few and far between) bits of the book that struck a chord (and which, incidentally, were the reason the books were recommended to me) were magical but for the rest? I find Garner's language convoluted yet plodding, his plots simplistic even for the target audience of 10 - 14 year olds. Any book where my attention wanders in the middle of an 'action' scene (a battle, being chased by unspeakable horrors etc) or I'm able to put down in the middle of a sentence without a qualm doesn't have that much going for it as far as I'm concerned. I had a similar reaction to Garner's 'Stone Book Quartet', and 'Elidor' and 'The Owl Service' (which I haven't finished yet) all of which begs the question: why have I read so much of something I don't like?
Meh, beats me. Maybe it's that sunny optimism gland? It can't be as bad as I remember, right? : )

Gods, I'm such a sook...
Watched the George Harrison memorial concert (filmed in 2002) tonight and spent most of it in tears. Fair enough I've loved most of the songs performed that night for years but it always means so much more when something's sung in requiem for a friend. Tch, was even sniffling through the rendition of Monty Python's 'I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay'... How sad is that? <g>
But it was Ringo Starr singing 'Photograph' that really did me in.
"Every time I see your face,
It reminds me of the places we used to go.
But all I got is a photograph,
And I realise you're not coming back any more..."
Waaaaah! <sniffle>

There's something blonde and cute in the opening credits of Astro Boy. I think it's a robot, I think it's male, but I'm not sure. Heh, if I was really that interested I could go hunt up some websites and find out, couldn't I?
And why do all the humans have huge noses? They can't all be comic sidekicks...

Not packed as yet for the weekend though the clothes are all sorted out at least.
This would all be so much easier if I had a car. Eh well, the cubs like the train journey.

No comments: