Monday, March 08, 2004

(From an article "Howard condemns ACT gay adoption laws")
""I think it is incredibly important that people have role models of both sexes."
Fair enough, but they don't have to be married... <grrrr>

The cubs and I went up to Mum's this long-weekend. As always, it was tiring but fun. We drove out to Alexandra (another hour on from where Mum lives) to visit the little steam-train museum there. Very cute, it's only small - the engine runs a few times around a circular track, takes about 10 minutes in all - but we all enjoyed ourself, and having bought a family ticket meant we could go on it as many times as we liked (4!).
And today we had a ride on the Healesville trolley again. Hee! : )

For the first time today, as the cubs and I came home on the bus, I didn't feel that warm little rush of homecoming. I know I've been getting awfully restless this past year but my reaction, or non-reaction rather, was unsettling. Maybe it had something to do with me deciding I really like Healesville and could all too easily see myself living the writer's life out there in the hills.
But there's lots of things to consider in a move like that. For a start I'd definitely need a reliable car and what about school, both mine and the cubs? How would my boys take being shifted so far away from what they know? Getting to and from my own classes would be trickier, but not impossible, especially if the cubs' school has before and after school care. Instead of a five-minute walk to the bus it'd be a 30 minute drive to the train station. Heh, it'd test my dedication, that's for sure.
By dint of subtle questioning ("Hey, guys, would you like to live in Healesville?") I discovered that one of my cubs was cool with the idea but the other one - my little nature-boy, not - wasn't.
Eh well, no point chewing over it, a move anywhere isn't likely for a while yet.

Woohoo! Way to go, Kai! Your very own web-site!
(In case I don't remember...) Happy birthday for tomorrow, bratling! <bg>

[...< a flutter of soft wings is the only warning before a moping 'lestrel is bowled over and soundly shuggled by a returning tenshi...>]

No comments: