Monday, March 29, 2004

The Museum's new Bugs Alive exhibit was very, um, interesting. Very interesting, on the whole... even the plethora of live spiders. There was a Chilean Rose tarantula lurking pinkly in its enclosure. I pointed it out to the cubs as the one Kai has and they were dead impressed. They're talking now about having pet spiders... <head in hands> I don't think so, I'm not going to have an animal in the house that makes me twitch.
I got to hold a leaf insect (well, I got to be walked on by a leaf insect) and that was kinda cute in a sticky prickly sort of fashion : ) You can get them from pet-shops around here, as you can some of the ginormous native australian cockroaches...
Nah, if I'm going to acquire some exotic pets they'll most likely be frogs.
As part of the exhibit the Museum has dragged out some of it's extensive insect collection. So pretty! Very dead, but still - so pretty! Hundreds of moths and butterflies and beetles and spiders, all shades and colours, all sizes and shapes, artistically arranged and displayed. Fascinating! I love butterfly collections... if it wasn't for the dodgy karma involved in displaying dead creatures my house would be full of them! (I have toyed with the idea of making karma-free displays - butterflies fashioned from paper or material. I've bought half a dozen origami books over the years just because they contain patterns for butterflys. : )
Was able to buy the cubs a little something each from the gift shop (and something for myself - a piece of plastic sushi, prawn on rice. Hee. Almost got the full set now.) One of my cubs chose a t-rex marionette thing... <sigh> You can only guess how many times in the past 6 hours I've had to untangle the strings.
But it was a fun day and we all want to go back and visit the mini-beasts again.

The cubs' school goes into the portable classrooms tomorrow, where they'll be until the new school is built. Unfortunately I don't think I can stay for the assembly in the morning, let alone the planned ribbon-cutting ceremony, cos I have to get to school myself. Ah well, Penny'll be there, she'll take the photos.

No comments: