Thursday, March 25, 2004

I have one little niggle with the X series - sometimes I can't read the yellow subtitles when the backgrounds are pale. Be much easier to follow with closed captions. Ah well.
I've had to resort to listening to the English dub in places cos I just can't follow what's going on otherwise. I have the subtitles on at the same time which makes for an interesting effect. It's surprising how many extra words the dub uses, makes it quite wordy compared to the almost spare subs. This isn't necessarily a good thing - the more words used to expand or explain the subtleties the more the original meaning is submerged. I've found, however, I've been getting a 'feel' for the Japanese voices and am picking up clues as to content from the intonations. Fascinating. The cultural slant on the two tracks in noticeable as well, and quite funny in places. (No, no examples, it's late and it's been a long day. : )
And another quick word about the movie version... The more I see of the series the more I realise how bastardised the movie is. It hasn't just been compressed, it's been completely re-edited and the plot significantly changed. I mean, it still works, but the series is way more satisfying. Hope this isn't putting you off the movie too much, Joules!
(One last word... Mmmm... Fuma... And once again the bad guys are all dead-sexy. Tch.)

Wow, this is the second last week of term. Two of my subjects finish next week, another one finishes the first week of term 2, and the fourth finishes 2 weeks after that. Still haven't had any confirmation about places in other subjects, but if I end up not doing any more classes this year I'll cope no doubt, can always make them up next year.
The cubs were well enough to go to school today which was good cos I had an assessment test scheduled for one of my classes and I really didn't want to miss it. How'd I do? Okay, I guess, I'll be surprised if I failed, but I don't think it'll be another 100 percent score.

Sorry to hear bratling's having difficulties, Joules. : ( Hope it settles down soon with the minimum of aggravation.

No comments: