Monday, March 22, 2004

Of all the mummy-duties that fall to me there is none I enjoy more than cleaning up after a sick child... (Yes, I'm being sarcastic. What sort of weirdo do you take me for? I've seen those adult websites - I don't understand the attraction in watching a naked woman vomit.)
I digress.
And there's no better time to perform this duty than just before I go to bed. <sigh> (Ok, could've been worse, sick cub could've come to find me after I'd gone to bed.) But of course, all the icked on bedding (and toys) had to be cleaned straight away or they would've stunk up the house, and then I couldn't go back to bed until the load in the washing-machine was finished cos I'm paranoid about fires started by unattended electrical appliances. Who needs extreme sports for action and adventure, just try parenting...

Uhoh, housemate's found a bookshop that sells and more importantly will lay-by the 'How to draw Manga' series. This could be bad, I haven't purchased any of these books yet cos the only other place I've seen them doesn't do lay-bys. Eh, I'll add them to the list. : )

Well the cubs' projects weren't as painful to complete as anticipated. We walked up to the newsagents on Saturday to get all the card/coloured paper/crepe paper etc we needed then after lunch sat down and got to work. Took just over an hour to finish them. Tch. Fair enough they're not particularly involved or detailed constructions but they're done. The integrated subject for this term turned out to be 'Natural Disasters', not 'Art & Artists' (the kids took a vote, apparently) and so my cubs decided to construct volcanoes for their projects. This consisted of a roughly torn ('clever tearing' - it's a technical term : ) piece of brown paper glued to backing board to represent an island, then a green-paper cone set onto that as the volcano with lava streams made up from strips of crepe paper flowing out from the centre. That was the fun bit, less fun was the writing of volcano 'facts' on the card but it was done and we all sat back blinking at each other at how quickly it had been completed. Heh.
... and then yesterday I initiated some cleaning-up of the house.
Telling the cubs that they're going to clean up their room doesn't work, it's too big a task for them to contemplate and I have to reboot their brains with cordial and a snack. Instead I asked them to do one task - pick up their books and put them back on their bookshelf. There was still grumbling and I still had to supervise them but it wasn't the wholesale trauma of an overwhelming job. Tonight I might ask them to do another small task, and tomorrow another. Call me an optimist but if this works their room should be in order before long...

I did some book-covering last night, using the last remainder of the school library.
A few weeks ago (can't remember if I mentioned it or not) I took home some of the library's supply of the product used to cover books' dustjackets. The stuff has been sitting there for years with little chance of being used as the school didn't seem to buy books with dustjackets anymore. So I asked the librarian I worked with if it was okay for me to take some and she said sure, the stuff was likely to end up in the bin anyway. I only took enough to cover 5 of my books, thinking I could always come back for more... A week later the library and everything in it was gone. Oh well, if I want to cover the rest of my books I'm just going to have to shell out the dosh and buy the product myself.
(But covering the books was enjoyable - I did a good job of it if I say so myself : )

Okies, chapter 4 of 'Elga' is posted in DarkRealm (thanks, Joules, again, for the coding and such : ) I've had a good look at the superhero fic from years ago and I think I can do something with it. Needs rewriting desperately but the basic premise is good.
But first I shall work on another chapter of 'Dancing'.

Oh, have you seen this comic-strip? Get Fuzzy. Onna's sent me some of the strips before but I stumbled across the actual website yesterday. If you're a cat-person you'll probly wet yourself laughing over this - I did. <bg>

Happy Mothering Sunday, Joules!
That's one sweet bratling (and mate) you've got there. : )

No comments: