Sunday, December 29, 2002

OK, so I was feeling 'up' when I took this quiz, but, man who needs chemicals to feel this happy? *grin*

Grover%20on%20E
Which Sesame Street Muppet's Dark Secret Are You?

brought to you by Quizilla
Grover on Ecstasy You're funny, you're loveable, you're entertaining, you like to call yourself "Super Grover!"--You're obviously on ecstasy. But that's why we love you. Be careful, ok?

I was going to shift my bedroom furniture around today, but the cubs and I got invited out to see a movie. Well, sort of. Penny, one of the mums from school, had been invited by her friend to see the new LoTR movie, problem was she didn't think it was the sort of movie her 6y.o daughter would enjoy, so she rang me and asked if I minded taking my cubs and her daughter to see something else at the same time. Course not! The kids were all agreeable, so it was arranged (and Penny had 3 free children's tickets so I only had to pay for myself).
We saw Treasure Planet.
I do like the way the Holy Rodent Empire is using non nuclear family structures nowadays, for some reason it makes me feel more connected to the stories, more forgiving of other nonsense. I have no idea why - maybe it took me longer to get over the butchering that was done to Hercules than I care to admit. (Zeus and Hera were NOT a loving couple. Hera was NOT Hercules mother. The Norns were NOT evil. Grrrr... No, I'm fine now, really.)
Where was I?
Oh yes.
I enjoyed Treasure Planet; again I thought Disney had presented a very believable world-frame (ships that 'sail' the ether between planets? Count me in!) and well-drawn, rounded characters with excellent voice-actors. Could've done without the robot though, could see no reason for it's being there - other than maybe the 'cute, furry mascot' but that role was more than adequately filled by Morph, John Silver's pet, who was just gorgeous. And speaking of gorgeous, Captain Amelia was my favourite character, she was so beautifully feline from the way we first see her bounding around the rigging of her ship like a cat with the wind up it's arse, to her wonderfully expressive ears and eyes (her pupils were inconstant motion, fascinating), and the way she'd go from frenzied activity to dignified poise without batting an eyelid. Oh yes, and the long frock coat and mid-thigh length, black stiletto boots didn't hurt either...
While I liked Treasure Planet, I didn't enjoy it as much as Lilo & Stitch, or Atlantis. It lacked the humour of Lilo & Stitch, and the character interaction of Atlantis, but talk about seeing yaoi everywhere...! Sheesh, the veiled references to 'cabin boys' had the children asking me what I was laughing about!
Eh, but if the cubs wanted to see it again, I wouldn't say no...

No comments: