Tuesday, January 21, 2003

I've just witnessed a very interesting life and death struggle between 2 spiders.
A little earlier I watched a white tail spider walk across the ceiling near the computer. They're nasty buggers and I was about to bestir myself to get a broom and deal with it, when I looked up again and found it had strayed too close to a daddy longlegs. It took the DDL about 3 minutes to subdue and wrap the white tail before settling down to a well-earned meal. :)
I like DDLs, they're my friends...

Knackered.
Took the cubs to the Museum today to see the 'Mars and Beyond' exhibition.
It was very cool and my little space cadets loved it!
They didn't pay that much attention to the actual exhibits, alas - I would have liked to linger over some of them, I mean there were things like Newton's actual telescope and old film footage of launches, and mini-docs on SETI, as well as rocket pieces and all sorts of wunnerful space crap! But there was a magic little CGI 3D film about flying to Mars and skimming over the planets surface and you know how much I love 'flying' shots. We saw that 3 times. ^.^
There was loads of activities for kids to do as well. The cubs made felt finger puppets of the solar system - if I can I'll scan them, they're great. They also put together small cardboard models of a volcano and decorated a cardboard box that sat over the top of an RC vehicle - to make it look a bit like the rover thing that got the pictures on Mars - which they then took turns at piloting around a 'martian' landscape. In the children's museum they played a while with the best set of Lego I've ever seen (big, softish rubber blocks, the largest slightly smaller than house bricks, I want some!)
And then there was the merchandising. Lots of interesting stuff both at the exhibit and at the regular Museum shop. The cubs chose a stretchy rubber alien each, and I got some postcards for them and their father. I was going to get myself a fishie wind-sock, but decided against it, couldn't really afford it. There were slidey pens available, but they were the most expensive ones I've ever seen and they only had images of Phar Lap (a racehorse - an aus legend *rolls eyes*) in them so I figured I could live without one for now.
Still want one of those wind-socks though... Or one of each, there were 3 designs... Maybe next time... :)

No comments: