Thursday, February 20, 2003

[standing on bank of pond with tenshi] The water's been filtered… [leans down to taste, grimaces, stands and crosses arms over chest, tail flicking] And all the micro-organisms have been filtered out… [points to wrinkled green and brown tubers floating on the surface] Those are vahanah bulbs. Dead vahanah bulbs. You won't ever have seen vahanah. It's incredibly rare. The plant only blooms once every 50 years. It's a glorious sight, shimmering silver and pink flowers the size of your hand, and the fragrance is… [shakes head] It changes depending on the ambient temperature. Sometimes it's a little like jasmine, other times like roses, or night-flowering stocks, or hyacinth… Impossible to describe, but extraordinarily beautiful. And the flowers last for a full year, floating on the surface of the water, trailing fragrant, tasty leaves - fish love them - below, long stems anchoring them to the bottom.

While you were away last year, I went hunting for some for you. For a surprise present. The tubers were 49 years old, due to flower later this year. They cost me an enormous amount of effort and personal pain to acquire, and they were the last available specimens in the galaxy. But they have a weakness. They're very sensitive to their environment and will only survive in water with the right constituents. I had to add native water and leave the pond to settle for three days, for the microbes to multiply and create the right microsystem, before I could plant them.

It would have been so beautiful, aijin. For you, and for the fish, and for everyone else who visits.

And now they're all dead, and there won't be any more available for 50 years.

[snarl, tail lashing] Right now all I want to do is reduce the lemon tree and anyone who might be in it to atoms. One more 'incident' like this and I will. Tell your 'guests' (Guests? Hah! I've met better behaved fucking vandals!) to stay within the tree's boundaries - if I catch any of them outside I'll rip their fucking heads off.

[growling to hide rising tears] I'm going to find something to destroy. If I stay here I'll only kill someone.


No comments: