Sunday, December 21, 2003

<head in hands> I have spent so much money today... but it was fun.
The cubs and I went to Puffing Billy - it's been over 2 years since we were there last <waves at Di and Andi>.
Well what can I say? Steam trains, old diesel trains... of course it was fun!
We only did half the journey today - to Emerald Lake and back - but it's almost an hour each way. There was some grumbling when we got to the lake cos I wouldn't let the cubs have a go on the paddle-bikes. They were too young to go on by themselves and there was no way I was going to leave either one unattended while I accompanied the other on the water. Heh, next time we'll think to bring a spare adult...
The model railway made up for it though.
30x6 metres of miniature trains in a miniature landscape. Very cool. : )
We stopped off at the railway museum on the way back but unfortunately it was closed. Still, the cubs had a deliriously happy few minutes clambering over the fuge derelict steam engine out the front before we scrambled back on to the train.
The gift-shop - curse it's well-stocked shelves - had a fabulous selection of Thomas merchandise that I've not seen anywhere else, including <whispering> some of the things I've been searching for. Ah well, already spent the allocated budget for giftmas (Okapi's word : ) - I'll bear it in mind for birthdays.
(Hee, and I indulged myself and bought another slidey-pen, yellow this time.)
Sucker that I am I succumbed to the hard-sell of a volunteer and forked out some money for an official souvenir photo of the cubs and I on the train. It's not a bad pic, actually, might put it up on my blog a little later.
Mum gave me her old camera when she came back from Queensland and I remembered to take it with me today. After I'd worked out how to start it up - putting the batteries in the right way really helps - took lots of photos. Not sure what the quality's going to be like, it's been a loooong time since I've used a camera and I suspect my 'eye' isn't once what it was. Eh, we'll see soon enough.

No comments: