Sunday, July 20, 2003

(... it's late - not sure how coherent this is going to be...)
Just got back from going to see a play with soulsis and Niki (yay! an evening to be something other than 'mummy') - an amateur producton of the David Williamson play Don's Party.
It's set in Australia in 1969 and the first act in particular is not... comfortable. It portrays a particularly obnoxious, sexist and coarse part of 'oztraylian culture' and the rabid seperatist feminist in me, who is never far from the surface, was practically frothing at mouth over some of it. However, there were parts were it was quite funny, even if the amusement came from that uncomfortable recoqnition of something familiar. The second half was better, and funnier as all the inherent ridiculousness of the characters is highlighted as they get drunker and drunker. Just like it happens in real-life...
On the whole I enjoyed the production, the standard of acting was pretty good overall (though, Mike, my friend who was in it, was easily the most natural performer : ) and the set was cringingly accurate of the time (burnt orange with large patterned purple wall-paper *shaking head* I remember when that sort of thing was fashionable.)
I covet the gumleaf green shag-pile rug though... *g*

After a bit of hunting I found out what anime Cartoon Network is going to be showing next month; Tenchi Muyo, Orphen & Trigun. Should be interesting though I'm going to miss BeBop.

Soulsis gave me the cutest little pots tonight - all bright colours with itty bitty fishes on them. : )

Egad, it's saturday! Keep thinking it's friday, better watch that or I'll think Monday is Sunday and not get the cubs to school...

No comments: