Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Heh, 9 days on and the cubs' room is still habitable...

… and today I turned an unused flannel bedsheet into handkerchiefs.
Past time to do it though, of the several dozen I made up to use as wipes when the cubs were in nappies only 3 are left. (Yes, I used cloth nappies too.) Why go to all that bother? Why not just use tissues? Cos using as few 'one-shot' items as possible is high priority for me - this disposable attitude is an appalling waste of resources. I've got it down now to basically toilet paper and paper kitchen towels, which I use to soak up as much oil as possible from the skillet before I wash it so the amount of grease going into the waterways, from my kitchen at least, is negligible. It's not a lot, but it helps. : )
(Just in case you're interested, I got 48 hankies from a single-bed sized sheet, and zig-zag edging them all is a great way of using up the left over cotton in the sewing machines bobbins…)

Gotta admit, it makes me feel kind of special when I go out for an hour and a half, leaving the cubs with their father, and find my babies have made me a 'Welcome Home' card for when I return. *soppy grin*
While I was out today I got a couple of fluffy cotton bathmats - a hot pink one for me, and a cobalt blue one for the cubs, which they love cos it looks like a bed of anenomes. I also picked up a packet of what I assume are pegs, but they're shaped like ears of corn! So cute! I'm sure I'll find a use for them. I also saw some lovely glasses (for drinking out of not reading through : ) embossed with suns and spirals - hopefully I can get some of those later this week to stash away in my 'next house' box, which is beginning to look satisfyingly full. *g* I also found a holly leaf shaped biscuit cutter and I put a really cool cushion on lay-by. It's round, and solid and sort of a dark orangey colour threaded through with gold.. will go a treat with the other 2 round and solid cushions (dark green/gold, light green/silver) I got from the same shop about a year ago. Hee, my next house is going to be very colourful…

Oh, forgot to mention we met Andi's new kitten, Emily, when we went to visit. She's very sweet, a brown tabby with flashes of dark ginger, and the biggest dark gold eyes… And good-natured too, not objecting much at all to being carried around by her armpits by a five year old who loves her to bits! ^~^

No comments: