Saturday, March 22, 2003

Bwahahahahahahah! I've read Transpositions 8! *evil smirk* Is verra, verra good...
Goodness, how long 'til the new site goes up, Joules?

OK, I'm bored titless with cleaning now.
The front garden's more or less finished, except for a very stubborn section near the letter box – but that's full of well-established cooch grass (the Devil's own weed) and I might have to resort to weed killer for that. : ( Don't want to but the stuff is like wire to pull up and my poor little fingies are all sore...
Tomorrow, Sunday, I'll concentrate on the back garden. Not a lot to do there, just some pruning and a little bit of weeding.. I'm ignoring the lawn that really should be mown – if asked, I'm going to say that since it's been such a hard summer and the grass has only just come back I want to give it a little time to recover before I cut it. That'll do.
The cubs' room is sort of finished; bathroom and shower are done, so's the kitchen. Laundry isn't finished but that's a matter of 15 mins work. Loungeroom's finished, that only leaves my room which I'll do this afternoon. I'll do a general clean-up on Monday before the inspection and she'll be apples. Or something. Then can I stop?
Aargh.
Wonder if I can squeeze enough money out of the budget this week to get some brachiosomes to put in the front garden, or some other nice aussie ground-cover plants to fill up the temptingly open space. And it's almost bulb season too! Hopefully the school will have a bulb-drive for one of their fund raisers this year.
Heh, one good thing about the beds being so completely overgrown – the echevaria, the succulents growing there, managed to survive a hard summer and my neglect...

I'm reading a Bryce Courtney novel'Four Fires'. I have mixed feelings about this author. Yes, he's a fantastic story teller, his plots are compelling and emotive and entertaining and occasionally powerful (I still find myself thinking about 'Power of One' and /Tandia') but there's also an element of triteness to his work as well. He's one of those authours whose work is universally described in bookshop catalogues as 'another masterpiece from a master story-teller, full of wit and humour and loveable/colourful/memorable characters...' The book I'm reading at the moment is about a working-class family in a small aus country town in the 50's and 60's. It's interesting, but I'm waiting to see where it's sposed to be going, the narrative doesn't seem to be leading up to anything in particular and I'm 2/3rd's through already. But, BC does do a lot of research for his novels and he has the ability to put you directly into a time and place which I envy.
Anyway, I'm enjoying reading Four Fires even if it's not completely satisfying. I'll let you know if there was a point to it all when I've finished. : )

No comments: